P.S. She Loves Fashion - Lochanty Makedi

By | 12:26 AM Leave a Comment


My Fashion Story 
By  Lochanty Makedi

It seems quite unusual that I aspire for a career in fashion as at very young I stuck to the same routine when it came to dressing. All black. That's when I started to create my own identity through wearing black, I loved experimenting with different fabrics but sticking with the same color pallet of dark shades. 
I first started to embrace fashion from watching catwalks and red carpets admiring the gorgeous gowns that celebrities would wear. I started to take a few courses in fashion design and realized that although I loved to draw, sadly I wasn't very good at it. My hands couldn't do what my eyes could envision so I started a new approach in fashion using internship as a platform to learn new skills and knowledge that involved fashion.

 I grew to love writing and participated in a summer school at London College Of Fashion where I took my writing and reporting skills to develop a magazine cover and a VOX POP (a interview feature). I soon began to reach out to contacts I knew and used social media as a place to find more internships and placements. I landed several opportunities to intern during London fashion week! I had three intern placements that I committed to including Nichole Farhi Press Assistant, PR and Styling all giving me different experiences. 

First I interned at TRACE PR publicity, the team were amazing and the girls who were also interning were great. Now saying this, I was stuck in a room for 6/7 hours per day writing invitations for designers' upcoming shows. I was exhausted and quite frankly bored out of my socks and that wasn't the worst. 

Returns. 

Reading through other bloggers who complained about returns I thought they were exaggerating - nope! I live in London so the weather is not that great so using my iPhone only to get lost or end up in a hidden hotel with a massive bags and your hair drench is not how I like to spend my days. However, I put up with it because there's always a silver lining. 

The fashion shows.

I got to attend and work behind the scenes at Pierre Braganza and Fyodor Golan, it was great and made all the challenges along the way worth it. Days later I was an assistant for the head dresser at Antonio Berardi show, which was by far the best show I attended, not only did I meet him in person but I also met other great people; networking and building contacts. That I must say was the highlight of my days of interning.

Unfortunately still being in school has restricted my opportunities to do more placements as exams are my first priority but I do hope to land more internships in more journalistic and creative fields of fashion.


...

We love the struggles of every fashion lovers that makes them want to work harder to get to where they want to be. We love Lochantys' story and even reminds us of our own. 

...

Don't forget to follow her through her:

Instagram: @_chantssx

Til our next fashion story!

Xo,

P.S. She Loves Fashion

0 comments:

Post a Comment